HISTORY

A tradition of quality and trust

When Mr. V. P. Bedekar started a small grocery shop at Girgaum, Mumbai in the year 1910, little did he know that it would evolve into the legendary V. P. Bedekar & Sons Pvt. Ltd. 

His son Mr. V. V. Bedekar ( Annasaheb Bedekar) joined the business in 1914 at the age of 13. To remain competitive and progressive, he started manufacturing spices in 1917 and pickles in 1921. Soon he attracted a growing and loyal clientele for spices, pickle and papads. Since only select and best quality groceries were available at the Bedekar outlet, the customer base expanded.

Shortly afterwards, 4 new shops were added - one each at Thakurdwar, Parel, Dadar and Fort. To cater to increasing demand he started 5 manufacturing units and formed a Private Limited Company in 1943. The company celebrated its Golden Jubilee as well as Annasaheb's 60th Birth Anniversary in 1961. In a grand ceremony of Golden Jubilee and Raupya Tula, Annasaheb gave away as charity an amount equal to silver with the cumulative weight of himself and his wife. He then retired from active business. 

His Vision, Guidance and Principles were imbibed by his eldest son Mr. Trimbak V. Bedekar who was at the helm from 1961 till 1993 and the company scaled new peaks. Today, brand “Bedekar” is a household name in Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka, Goa, M.P., Chhattisgarh, and all metros of India. Bedekar products are also available in USA, Canada, Australia, Singapore, UK and many smaller countries also. 

At present Mr. Vasant V. Bedekar, the youngest son of Annasaheb, heads the company along with the fourth generation of Bedekars. The fourth generation Bedekars are Mr. Atul V Bedekar and Mr. Ajit V. Bedekar, sons of Mr. Vasant and Mr. Mandar T. Bedekar, son of Mr. Trimbak Bedekar. Together they usher the company into its glorious centenary and further towards eternity.

   

 

Current Directors of V. P. Bedekar & Sons Pvt. Ltd.

From Left: Mr. Mandar T. Bedekar, Mr. Vasant V. Bedekar, Mr. Atul V. Bedekar & Mr. Ajit V. Bedekar